Friday, July 29, 2011

My Little Darlin, PT day 65, by David

Day 1, back in Mississippi

We made it home to Starkville today.  My little darlin made the trip in a normal vehicle (that is a pick up truck for those of you not familiar with what a normal vehicle is).  The only vehicles she has riden in since being rudely removed from her bicycle was ambulance to West Point, Helicopter to Tupelo and ambulence to Atlanta.  She did great today.  It was almost like old times, I drove, she rode, slept and snored.  That put a smile on my face to have her with me.  We stopped by Baptist Hospital in Columbus where I practice to see everybody.  Jan liked seeing them as much as they liked seeing her. Ditto for me.  Everybody knows the hard rode she has traveled and I think it is good for all to see her up and about.  Getting home is very nice but it does bring to the forefront realworld responsibilities that have been put off for two months although unavoidable.   First thing that has to be done is to make it as safe as possible for Jan.  As I mentioned she is still unsteady on her feet and is only allowed to stand or walk with my hand on her.  I must get grab bars put up in the shower and toilets.  I have nightmares about the possibility of her losing her balance, falling and reinjuring herself.  Our house is extremely cluttered.  This along with our numerous lovable and friendly dogs also make for potential hazards.  I have started working on the clutter.  The dogs, lets just say if Jan were made to choose who stayed, I would get the dog house.  I like them too though so we will just have to be careful.  Thankfully we did not need to worry about eating tonight, some of our good friends sent us a great meal.  It was GUD.  Lots of old mail.  I have been able to keep up pretty well with bills while away thanks to the computer and getting them brought or sent to me but there is still a lot coming in.  This includes the medical bills.  Never knew how confusing they could be.  I have no mind for business or accounting and have no idea exactly what I am supposed to pay when I look at these versus what insurance will pay or when.  I get the feeling the insurance companies play a game with the hospitals, physicians and patients but hopefully a few phone calls will sort this out.  Taking Jan to have her vision checked tomorrow,  she says it is not right since the injury.  No surprise there.  On thursday going to have a dental evaluation.  For those that do not know, her L front upper incisor was knocked out.  Our four year old granddaughter likes it because Mi-mama looks like her.  Jan also has pain in another tooth and we suspect it was cracked with the injury.  Next week we will go to the Quest program and let them figure out what her therapy schedule will be.  I am hoping to get back to work soon.  The primary limiting factor will be Jan's therapy days in Jackson and making sure someone can be with her 24/7.  Preliminary expectation for therapy will be three days per week but could be more.  This will free me up to cover on the weekends but I can't leave Jan alone yet so will either have to take her with me when I go in to the hospital or get someone to stay with her.  Sean my stepson is living with us now.  He moved in while we were off to take care of the house and dogs since we did not know how long we would be away.  He will definitely be an asset while he is here.   The expectation is that Jan will continue to have rapid improvement over the next few months but we are also told she will continue to have some improvement for years to come.  Brain injuries suck but she is doing great for what happened to her (TIGT)

SHARE THE ROAD, IT'S A LIFE
PUT THE !%@$# CELL PHONE DOWN BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEBODY
GET OFF THE COUCH,  LIFE IS FOR DOING STUFF
SUPPORT BIKE WALK MISSISSIPPI,  THEY WILL HELP MAKE CHANGES HAPPEN
BE BRIGHT AND BE SEEN

I Love My Little Darlin,  It is good to be home
David

No comments:

Post a Comment