Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Little Darlin, PT day 42, by David

Day #6 at Shepherd.  Six weeks since this happened.  One of the most noticeable and impressive things I have noticed is the calm and soothing demeanor of all of the staff working on the floor.  To say the least when Jan is up out of bed she is agitated almost all of the time.  This is part of what she is going through and as I have said this will pass.  She like any small child feels she is the center of the universe.  She has no inhibition as to what she will say about how she feels and if you took it personal she would be very offensive.  Every one that interacts with her and is on the receiving end of her verbal abuse reacts in a calm manner.   They all just like any good mother will in a gentle but firm way get her attention by addressing her and telling her what they are going to do and that she must calm herself. She will respond to that in a good way but for only a few seconds and the cycle must be repeated.   When I watch and hear them doing this I even become more secure and relaxed.  I suspect they are all excellent mothers (have not had any male personel,  I do not know if this is by design but would not surprise me if it were and likely is a good thing)  I learn from the staff by their example and this helps me deal with Jan much better. 
There is no change in Jan that I can tell today.  I do periodically ask her questions.   She never wants to answer any of them without putting up resistance.  I asked her today if she knows what happened to her and she said a bike wreck which is all I have told her.  She will not tell me if she knows the city or place.  I suspect she knows but her agitated condition in general makes her very obstinate.  Not that she ever was stubborn before this ;).  She has no scheduled therapy sessions today.  She did eat a little better today but complained the whole time, as usual.  I have done some video so I can show her how she is acting when this is all over.  She likely will not remember it.  Her seeing what I was having to deal with should earn me some husband brownie points.  Perhaps I will not have to wear a puffy shirt again.

For me, do not know if I told this but Shepherd has a small apartment that I can stay in here at the center for 30 days.  I can be in Jan's room in less than 5 minutes.  This gives me a place to get good rest and with a kitchen I have been able to start eating right again.  Also am starting to sweat and breath hard on a regular basis after essentially a 6 week break.  Have run the stairs some and did a run outside this morning.  Jan, Parisa, Kevin and I are signed up for the Disney Marathon in January.  Do not know if Jan can make the race but will not count her out.  More importantly she loves Disney and we got to get her well enough to play there the week following the race.

We are going to get through this, it is going to take time.  I love this little woman and would not have being here helping her get through this any other way.

Do not forget what put us here.  It can happen to anybody and unfortunately likely will again.  Do what you can to lesson that chance for you and anyone else.

SHARE THE ROAD, IT'S A LIFE
PUT THE !%@$# CELL PHONE DOWN BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEBODY
GET OFF THE COUCH,  BE AN EXAMPLE
SUPPORT BIKE WALK MISSISSIPPI,  IT IS OUR VEHICLE TO GET THINGS DONE


**********PLEASE CONTACT AND ENCOURAGE YOUR STATE SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE TO SUPPORT THE 3 FOOT LAW AMENDMENT***********

I Love My Little Darlin more than anything, she snores a little when she sleeps which she is doing now (TIGT)
David

No comments:

Post a Comment